Monday, July 6, 2009

The beautiful dusk... II

"Sume!!! In deep thoughts, huh?" Jass's feeble yet lively voice brought Sume back to the park.

"Oh you've completed. Fine. Let's get started with your story" said Sume. "This is no story kid..."

"Oh yeah... Lets get on.. starting from your 'silly' quarrel " pleaded Sume.

"I was about 10 when I joined Blue Bells High school. I was so scared when I entered the classroom. I could see everyone's eyes closely following me.. I took a seat hesitantly beside a girl who seemed to be the only girl who didn't mind me coming. She kept drawing something on a sheet of paper which I thought to be a homework".

I said, "Hello! I'm Jasmine. Can I sit here?".
"Oh hello... So you are the one our teacher was talking about" she replied without taking her eyes off her work.

"I wouldn't know that.. would I?"
I waited for her reply but she continued her work as if I wasn't talking to her.
"You're not offended, are you?" I questioned surprised by her silence.

She nodded as if to say no; but this time bending even more closer to her work.
I turned around to see the rest of my classmates. A few seemed to be talking something about me.

Two girls from my next row came near me. "Hi.. I'm Jane... This is Alice.. You could sit with us if you would like"

"I'd be happy to. Thanks..." I said and shifted to the next row.

After the first break, I returned to class with Alice. I could see the girl carefully folding her work in such a way that it was compatible with her bag. As the bell for the next class rang, we took our respective seats. I sat near Alice and opened my book. The teacher introduced herself to me and then the class started. Just then I realized that my favorite pen was missing.

"Alice! Alice! My pen is missing" I whispered.

"The blue-colored one?" She inquired.

I nodded and Alice immediately turned towards the girl. I was really astonished see her writing using the same pen. Alice suddenly got up and complained "Please ma'am.. That pen which Dora is writing with is Jasmine's.."

'Dora's her name....' I thought forgetting that she stole my pen for a minute.

The teacher turned towards Dora, "Is that true Dora?"

"No ma'am.. It's mine" Dora got up and said. "She's lying.. that's mine" I stood up and shouted.
The teacher came near us to sort out the problem and finally got my pen and gave it back to me. I got the pen and stared at Dora as the teacher punished her for lying. I could see that she had scratched my pen a bit. Cursing her I started doing my lessons. All other of my classmates got introduced to me by then and we all kept staring at Dora wherever she went.

That evening as we all stood up to leave home Dora called me. "Jasmine... I found this under my desk. Thought it could be yours....". She held the same blue-colored pen but without a scratch in her hand. I hurriedly opened my bag and checked if the other pen was there. It was there.

"Oh! I'm sorry..." I said and we exchanged the pens. She nodded and turned away from me to leave home.

"Dora!!! I'm really sorry" I pleaded. She smiled at me and left home. I was surprised at her smile and promised myself to tell the teacher tomorrow about our misunderstanding.

(Dusk continues....)

0 comments:

Post a Comment